By Rod Johnson

Rodric believes Moroni included special instruction for Modern times and wants to share his unique perspective the same way Moroni shared in The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

Which Comes First? Thought? or Language?

I was asked to respond to a question, which came first; the chicken or the egg... err, language or thought.

My first reaction to this was, "Wow, somebody wants me to answer a question! Me!"

My second thought was, "Am I being mocked?"

My third thought was, "That seems kinda obvious."

And a bunch of thoughts later, "I will write it!"




Thought Came First

Seriously and somberly I submit that thought comes first if we are speaking strictly from the scientific point of view.

Biologically the brain is developed first as a human develops in the womb because it regulates all the function of the other organs that form afterward.

The bio-electrical impulses that communicate throughout human bodies control unconscious functions before perceptive currents form in the brain.

So, though it may not be popularly thought of as thought, the bio-electric currents that ride the information highway of our bodies are rudimentary thought impulses; therefore thought indeed.

I wonder how many times I could use thought in a sentence?

I thought she thought the thoughts I thought were thought to reflect the thoughts of thoughtful thoughts.

Eight is enough right? Anyway...  So, Rodric's science reasons that thought comes first by a biological construct for number one
Source: www.desicomments.com

Language Not Necessary For Thought

Besides being the first thing to form, the brain also functions without language initially. Think about a baby newly hatched... I mean born.

A newborn communicates when it comes out feelings of probably cold, disorientation, soreness, and hunger--all without saying or thinking any words. He or she probably follows instinctive drives to feed and seek comfort. At least that's what my seven did when they came screaming into the world.,

Ergo, thoughts come first for two.

Spiritual For Three


Depending on your religious preference, you may have special and sacred beliefs. I know I do. I believe we lived before we were born here on earth.

I believe that God is the creator of our spirits and the literal Father of us all. I also believe as spirits we had mouths and brains, you know, spirit brains and mouths.



I also suspect, not believe, that our spirits were always adult and could speak. So from my perspective language, spirit language could have come first.

But, but (as in hold on there now)...

God had to say let there be light first, and thoughts proceed action! So it is unanimous. Thought came first!

((((applause!))))

The chicken came first too. Somebody had to lay the egg!
















And lucky for me, I can use my beliefs to not have to argue about the origins of the chicken!. God took some dirt and made it!

So dirt actually came first then?

My Conclusion!

Thought without language is a common experience with which all humans begin. I Speak therefore I am does not sound as good or make as much sense as I think, therefore I am.


No comments: